Thursday, March 10, 2016

I am an addict

A relationship addict to be correct.  I have a terrible way of being a codependent person who is deeply unhealthy emotionally and somehow I look for another tortured soul to attach myself to and somehow fix their problem and mine at the same time.  I also have a horrible way of pointing out another persons’ faults to hide my own.  Ain’t I just the nicest person you know (insert sarcastic voice).

I always seem to spot the guy that will be out of my league and I avoid him completely because he will be the one to break my heart and use my vulnerability as a weakness.  But apparently that is my unhealthy emotions pointing out a healthy person who I will not be able to break and manipulate.  I also start every relationship thinking “this will be the one” which is an addictive persons personality.  So where did I suddenly get this brain fart? “When you love too much – Stephen Arterburn”.  It is almost as if the whole book was written with me in mind.  Somehow this whole situation I have been in for over 7 months makes a whole lot of sense.  There were days I couldn’t even come to terms with how bad my life has turned out and what a big mess I was sitting in and just because my addition wasn’t alcohol or drug based, I didn’t see it as a problem.  Thank the Lord for opening my eyes, guiding me to the right place and people in order to start my healing.

I made a promise to myself to stay single for a year yet I have tried every opportunity to avoid just that not realizing that I need to actually take this time and put my armour on, pick up my sword and walk out to battle the demons that have clinged to me my whole life.  I have a lot of issues but my main one, I think, stems from my severely fragile relationship with both my parents.  I don’t blame them for my decisions I however blame myself for not sorting out my issues before taking on a relationship.  I keep dragging the old things into new relationships and wonder why they go 50 shades of grey and never work out.  I had been warned on multiple occasions by a lot of people to first try and sort things out before taking on more and messing it up for myself and I think by now you can gather I surely did not follow any of their advice.

At least it happened while I’m still young (30 is still young) and I must admit that I’ve been having these little episodes of hyperventilation every so often when I think of turning 30, it almost feels like I am running out of time or something, almost as if my life is not really going to be that long and now is my prime time to meet someone yet I think that’s more a push from the wrong side of my brain that does not want to let go of the old habits.  See its much harder to actually make an effort to change, its much more convenient to stay stagnant where you are but making the same mistakes over and over again really becomes tiresome. 

All in his time,  I can say with a sincere heart that where I am is where I am supposed to be.  Yes it took a lot of guts and sometimes I just go with something because having to sit and decide about going into a certain direction might just scare me out of it completely so I just go with it.  I also felt an increasing need to give my life over to God, he takes the reigns and we run as leader and learner rather than me as the master and he as my slave. 

I always feel I’d rather add to my personality than stay in the same stagnant place I’ve always been, also the biggest step a person can take it to admit you have a problem.  So here goes…

Hi, my name is Chantelle and I am addicted to codependency in a relationship.

From here I can only become healthy and by sharing this I might motivate another person to get themselves healthy and happy too.  All to live a healthy life with fulfilling relationships with all the important people in our lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment