Wednesday, February 24, 2016

An end to a decade...

It’s a bittersweet feeling.  Anyone who knows me will know that I have wanted to turn 30 since I turned 21.  I feel  I just need to get out of my 20’s and start that next chapter in my life yet as the realization of the day approaches I start feeling a bit nostalgic.  It has suddenly dawned on me that a whole decade has gone past faster than you can say “train wreck”.  If I have to sum up the last 10 yearsit would probably sound like this….

A long, long time ago….

…..Chantelle moved to the big city to study beauty therapy.  She moved around a few times, stayed in Carletonville, Krugersdorp, Alberton, Bryanston, Sunninghill, Kyalami, Douglasdale, Beckedan and Roodepoort. She has been engaged 3 time and only one engagement materialized into a marriage.  There was a big part of her life she lost the day her sister passed away. She almost lost her life on the very same day exactly a year after her sister in a car accident but miraculously survived.  There were different religions practiced, Christianity, Judaism and she was once an atheist but back to being a Christian. There was a time she had everything she ever wanted but felt like she actually had nothing.  A lot of time passed in between strained relationships with family members and friends.  She survived 3 c-sections, severe viral meningitis, anaphylactic shock from a grape fruit allergic and she almost died that day and a tonsillectomy at 25.  There was a divorce and no new romantic ventures.  Three magically beautiful girls were brought into this world.  Experience was accumulated over the years of work and various positions.  There are 7 tasteful tattoos that she has collected over the years and many more she aspires to have. The story is a full book but not a complete edition yet…

My personal opinion to this whole thing is that there were a few times I came very close to dying, I think I could actually feel the grim reaper standing next to me tapping away on his watch yet every time I was pulled back to this place we call “life”.  I must admit I have made quite a mess of my 20’s, there are some moments I just close my eyes and bow my head in shame, then there are those moments that take your breath away, the moments where I brought life into this world, those moments were by far the most magical, unscripted, unexplained, phenomenal days of my life. There are moments when I sit and look at my children and I am actually proud of the little people they are, they bring so many people joy, laughter and make life worth living.  We don’t value our parents and grandparents quite as much as the day we become parents.  The late nights, the screaming sessions with your toddler, the negotiations, the walking zombie running after an overactive child, the semi sober parent at a kids party because being compos mentis will actually drive you overboard. You finally have that moment your parents have waited for their whole life, that moment of you actually realizing what they have sacrificed to see you where you are right now, those moments you screamed profanities at them and told them you hate them, those moments hurt them or the time you told them you don’t need them anymore and their hearts shattered.  Only when you experience that first heartache, that is the moment the whole situation comes full circle not only for you but for your parents too.

Life has this unexpected why to rip the carpet from underneath you when you least expect it and I think its actually character building, we have to constantly be on our toes, learn to start over and survive.  It’s a ongoing season of Survivor, Fear Factor, Ex on the beach, Bachelor, Bachelorette, Desperate Housewives and Big Brother all rolled into one. A day to day struggle to fit in somewhere and make someone happy and live this life we have been given.

To me 30 symbolizes the ending of my immature years of being a young adult and the blossoming of me into the woman I have always seen myself becoming.  May my thirties bring the good years I have been yearning for, my the road of self-discovery come to an end and may I finally accept myself for who I am and appreciate myself for what I have gone through to get where I wanted to be.


It’s a nervous and exciting feeling all in one and may the celebrations be more than what I planned it to be…. 

2016 - Here's to Welcoming me to my 30’s

No comments:

Post a Comment